Ecuador

Ecuador
Ecuador

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stories From The Jungle: Don't Ever Look A Monkey In The Face...

And now for an awesome story involving an attack by monkeys:

Well where to begin on this one. It all began on a quiet monday afternoon. I had absolutely nothing to do that day and the boys in my family were off school for vacation. We decided that since it was such an awesome and sunny day, and for once it wasn't raining, that we'd go to the pool near the community. It's like this exotic hotel across the street from my community, totally random. I've been there from time to time with the boys and it's a pretty awesome place they have all these different species of monkeys and it's super tranquilo. I go with Jamil, Keneth, and their cousin Clide. We're swimming for a good hour or so and having an awesome time when Clide starts yelling at me that he sees monkey's really close to where we are swimming. Me being the "gringa" crazy "extranjera" I start freaking out and am like 'oohhh mmmoonnnkkkeeeyyysss!! Lets go see them!'....what was to occur next could have only been the most unique and horrifying experience of my life. We leave the pool and walk up to were there are these two monkeys hanging out in this low hanging tree. One of the employees at the hotel starts feeding one of them bread and as we approach the other monkey falls out from the top of this tree and hangs down from a low branch by its tail and starts reaching out to me and Clide. Well at this point I'm cheesing out big time...here I am in the Amazon with my Kichwa family and here's this monkey reaching out to touch my fingers like something out of Michelangelo's "Creation of Adam"...I am kicking myself big time for not bringing my camera...So we hold hands with this monkey for a few minutes and then she springs off to go forage or whatever monkeys do in there free time. We go back to the pool and swim some more and again the monkeys return. We go back and this time she is out of the tree and on the ground hanging out in this chair. So Clide and I go to sit with her...kind of close but at what I thought was a good distance...apparently not. We're sitting there for a few minutes and like lightning she went from being this tranquilo little monkey to 'monster monkey' like something out of Wizard of Oz....She starts screaming and lunging at Clide. He gets up from his chair and starts to slowly back away from her but unbeknownst to him the she-monkey's boyfriend has jumped down behind Clide and the he-monkey's not too happy to have someone else looking at his woman in that manner. I see the he-monkey before Clide does and so I try as best I can to yell at Clide that there's a monkey behind him....too late, he backs right into the he-monkey and I watch in horror as he grabs Clide's calf with his squirrely-hands and takes a huge bite into his leg....like he was biting into an apple...At this point I'm screaming and Clide is screaming and we both take off running for the safety of the pool....and of course the monkeys start to chase us...they are running at us on their hind legs gnashing their horrible 'fruit eating' teeth at us and screaming like banshees...they want us out!....I'm running and Clide is limping for his life for the pool. After what felt like a heartwrenching eternity we make to the safety of the pool and the monkeys retreat to the trees screaming in triumph. I check myself over, making sure everything is still in order and then look down at the blood dripping from Clide's calf...there was a deep gash in his leg about the width of a pencil and the length of my thumb. I'm trying to stay calm as I apply pressure to his leg with some tissue from my bag but inside I'm soooo freaking out. Here I am the 'adult' of the group and I let my cousin get attacked by a freaking monkey! He kept insisting that it didn't hurt at all and that he was fine, oh those Kichwa boys, but I insisted we leave and get his leg cleaned out. So we left....Moral of the story: Don't sit with a he-monkey's girlfriend...he will get jealous and he will bite the shit out of you. And Clide is fine...we got him cleaned up and his leg is healing very nicely....Probably one of the funnier moments since my time here...Not then but it sure is now...

No comments:

Post a Comment